Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Wisdom in Proverbs 24

In my devotioal time one day last week I read Proverbs 24 and was struck (as I am each time I read Proverbs!) with the wealth of wisdom contained there. Just from Proverbs 24 alone, I wrote down the following, I'm sure you could find even more things there that I've missed:
  • Do not envy the wicked or desire their company (v. 1)
  • Do not forsake wise counsel when making a major decision (v. 6)
  • If my strength (of character or whatever) fades in the face of opposition, it was not really there to begin with (v. 10)
  • Do not rejoice in the adversity of others, even if they are your enemies (v. 17)
  • Do not judge people based on shallow things like appearance or the 'success' they've achieved in this life (v. 23)
  • Do not call what is wicked good (v. 24)
  • Do not indulge in the trappings of success (i.e nice house, fancy car, etc.) without the proper underpinning of hard work in order to pay for them. In other words, live within your means (v. 27)
  • Laziness leads to poverty (vv. 33-34)

What do you think? Have I missed some important points in this Proverb or misunderstood the one's I came away with?

No comments: